Friday, October 31, 2008

Freelance Friday: Pumpkin Pecan Bread Pudding

Need I say more? Really, I mean, who doesn't like bread pudding? It's gooey, crunchy, sweet, custardy, creamy, soft with a hint of tart. It's all things lovely baked into bready goodness, topped with cold cream and dreamy caramel love. If I sounds like I'm gushing, it's cause I am. It's a dessert that I forget about 9 months out of the year and then fall hits me and then I find every reason I can to incorporate butter and cream and carbohydrates into my daily diet. And then I remember the frozen baguettes I had tucked away in my freezer awaiting their fate as bread crumbs or croutons. But this time their demise was much more splendid. It dawned on me today that it is indeed bread pudding season. And what better a way to enjoy it than to cram it together with this seasons other favored dessert, pumpkin pie.
When I was little my mom used send me on bread pudding missions. She'd give me a few dollars to run down to Jean's Deli and get her some of their bread pudding. It was pretty traditional, hint of cinnamon lots of raisins, pipping hot with cold cream poured over top. I remember having to hurry home so the cream would still be cold and the pudding still warm when she ate it. I never understood why, at the time. What's all the hype over this mushy bread soaked with milk? I'd fill my pockets with penny candy (which soon changed to two penny and then nickle candy) and then run home, not even thinking to stop and sneak bites of the sweet treasure encased in that styrofoam takeout box.
Latter on in life Jean's Deli expanded and changed locations and mom took me there for lunch. We of coarse had the pudding and a flood of regret hit me. All those times I devotedly ran back to my mother with her untouched goods, I could have been hiding in the bushes, disassembling the pudding, figuring out ways to eat as much of it as possible without her noticing half the insides where missing. It was for the best, I'm sure. But still to this day I can't make bread pudding without thinking of mom, and, of coarse, bringing her at least two pieces.
The recipe I've adapted for bread pudding leaves you with a less-sweet bread, to compliment the cold cream and sweet caramely topping. The key is to use high quality dense bread with a hearty crust, such as a levain. If your bread is fresh, let it get stale for a day before starting your pudding, this lessens the soggy factor and helps the bread cubes hold their structure. I like to add nuts for some added texture, and instead of raisins I went with dried blueberries. This recipe brings together all the fall flavors of pumpkin pie with all the glory that is bread pudding...

Pumpkin Pecan Bread Pudding
Serves at least 8


1 Hearty baguette (cut into 1" cubes)
2C Half and Half
5 Fresh eggs
1 can Pumpkin puree
1C Brown sugar
1/2C Maple syrup
2t Pumpkin pie spice
1/2t cinnamon
A few grates of fresh nutmeg
1/2t salt
4T melted butter
1C chopped pecans (lightly toasted)
1C dried blueberries

One batch Chai Spiced Rum Sauce

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients, excluding bread, butter, pecans and blueberries, in a large bowl, wisk well to incorporate (a blender will make short work of this, but do not over blend, you don't want mixture to get foamy). In same bowl, add remaining ingredients, mix well. Allow to soak for 10-15 min, less depending on how stale or tough your bread is. Spray or lightly butter a 9x13 in. baking dish. When bread is finished soaking pour melted butter over mixture and incorporate just to coat. Fill baking dish with bread mixture, pat down and smooth it out just a bit. Bake for 45-55 min. It should appear slightly puffed and browned and a tooth pic should come out clean.
Let cool for at least 15 min. before serving. Serve in a bowl with cool cream or half and half and a hefty drizzle of Chai Spiced Rum Sauce...


No comments: