Friday, October 24, 2008

Freelance Friday: Asparagus and Chevre Tart

So, I thought I'd start this thing. Well, actually, I was asked to start this thing, where I spend my Friday freelancin' in my own kitchen. It's a little something for both of us to share. I'll go first... Then you show me how it went for you... okay?

Today I finally made the tart I've been planning on making since Sunday. Most people would call this a quiche, and it basically is. I call it a tart because I make a thinner version in a 1" tart pan instead of a 2 1/2" pie dish. Either way works out just fine, but my recipe won't fill a pie dish.
























Tarts are one of those things that have endless possibilities. From the simplest combinations of Swiss cheese and wilted spinach to roasted sweet corn and Dungeness crab. Start with a good crust, always use fresh eggs and cream and get creative!

Asparagus and Chevre Tart
serves 4-6

1c Heavy cream
1c 2% milk
5 Farm fresh eggs
1c Asparagus (chopped on bias)
4 Slices thick cut bacon
1/4c Chopped scallions
1/4c Chevre (fresh, soft goat cheese)
1/2t Salt
Fresh ground pepper
Fresh grated nutmeg

One batch pate brisee

Prepare pate brisee, allow to chill for one hour before rolling.
Combine cream, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a heavy bottom sauce pan, just till simmering, turn off immediately. In a blender, pure eggs, then slowly incorporate cream mixture, this will be your tart custard.
Roll out dough and arrange in a tart pan, blind bake with pie weights at 350 for 15 min.(I use a layer of parchment fitted snugly against dough, filled with dried beans, works great!). Remove pie weights and prick bottom of tart with a fork, return to oven for 5 min.
While baking your tart shell, chop bacon into bite-size pieces and crisp up in a hot pan, place on paper towel when crisp to cool and drain fat.
When shell is finished, you can start adding your fillings. Layer in the asparagus, scallions and bacon, then crumble chevre evenly over top. Carefully pour in custard to fill. Bake at 350 for 40-50 min, or until evenly puffed and browned.

Let me know how yours turns out!

No comments: