Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My day as an 87 year old...

I started at 4:00 this morning, fumbling through the medicine cabinet. I know I have some leftover antibiotics from the dentist a few months back. Where’s the Echinacea? Damn! I finished that weeks ago. Oh, please tell me I still have some Tylenol around here. I just can’t remember where I put anything.

I have a double ear infection, my lungs are wheezing like I’ve been smoking for the last 30 years, I threw my back out lifting jugs of oil and can’t bend over without involuntarily muttering some sort of groaning sound. My Honda won’t start, so I’m forced to fire up my retired VW bus, which I haven’t driven in a year and a half. A little bit of tinkering and she came too. I love my old bus, but she tops out at about 45mph maybe 50, 30 on hills. Our drive to pre-school was all laughs, no radio and no heater, we played the ‘watch your frozen breath float out the window’ game.

My hearing loss, due to the infection, has caused me to ask everyone to repeat themselves, and when I ask them “What?” or “Can you say that again?” I’m actually yelling it because I can’t even hear the sound of my own voice. I came to work with a pocket full of vitamins and various pills thinking I would remember what was what. Now I know why oldies have those pill boxes with times and days of the week on them.

Now I'm wearing slippers.


I think I need some tea, and tapioca.

Umph…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

old people are gross. :)

why so sickly? body just getting rid of stuff now? that would be great!

i love you and i hope you feel better (and younger) soon.